Insulated security roll-up doors are an essential component of commercial and industrial buildings. These doors are designed to provide security and insulation, making them an ideal option for warehouses, factories and other large buildings. Insulation is a critical factor in ensuring the energy efficiency of these doors.
Several types are available for insulated security roll-up doors, each with advantages and disadvantages. This article will explore the different types of insulation for rolling insulated garage doors.
Fibreglass is a popular insulation used in insulated security roll-up doors. It is made of tiny glass fibres woven together and then compressed to form a rigid material. Due to its lightweight composition, ease of installation and affordability, it is a popular option for many commercial and industrial buildings.
- Serves as an excellent thermal insulator, which means it can keep the building warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
- It is resistant to moisture, which means it will not absorb water and will not promote mould or mildew growth.
- Fibreglass insulation is a non-combustible material, which means it will not catch fire or spread flames.
- This type can irritate the skin, eyes and respiratory system if mishandled.
- Fibreglass insulation can settle over time, which means it may lose its insulating properties and must be replaced.
- May be less effective than other types of insulation, such as spray foam insulation, at preventing air leakage.
Spray Foam Insulation
Spray foam insulation is a high-performance material that is applied by spraying a liquid foam onto the surface to be insulated. The foam expands and hardens to form a solid, insulating layer. Spray foam insulation is a popular option for insulated roller shutter doors because it provides superior thermal insulation.
- As it provides outstanding air sealing, it can reduce energy costs and improve indoor comfort.
- Provides a moisture barrier that can prevent water damage and mould growth.
- Known for its durable material, it can last many years without needing replacement.
- It is more expensive than other types, such as fibreglass insulation.
- It requires special equipment and training to install correctly.
- This type of insulation can be difficult to remove if it needs to be replaced.
Cellulose insulation is made of recycled paper products, such as newspapers and cardboard, that have been treated with chemicals to make them fire-resistant and insect-resistant. Moreover, cellulose insulation is a popular option for insulated secured roller shutters because it is an environmentally friendly and affordable option.
- Serves as an environmentally friendly option because it is made from recycled materials.
- It is an excellent thermal insulator, which means it can keep the building warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
- Cellulose insulation is an excellent insulator which can reduce noise pollution.
- This type can be a fire hazard if not treated with fire-retardant chemicals.
- Over time, cellulose insulation may settle, losing its ability to insulate and needing to be replaced.
- It is a good moisture absorber, which means it can promote the growth of mould and mildew if it gets wet.
This is a type of foam insulation that is made of polystyrene beads. The beads are heated and then expanded to form a rigid foam material. Polystyrene insulation is a popular option for insulated security roll-up doors because it is lightweight and provides good thermal insulation.
- It is lightweight, making it easy to install and not adding extra weight to the door.
- Because polystyrene insulation is such a good thermal insulator, it may keep the building cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
- As a moisture barrier, polystyrene insulation can stop water damage and mould formation.
- This insulation is a flammable material that can catch fire and spread flames.
- If it catches fire, it can release toxic fumes, harming people and animals.
- Polystyrene insulation can be challenging to recycle and is not an environmentally friendly option.
Insulation is an essential component of insulated security roll-up doors. Several types are available, and each has advantages and disadvantages. Ultimately, the choice of insulation will depend on the specific needs and requirements of each building.
Make your garage more energy-efficient with our premium quality rolling insulated garage doors! Premier Industrial Doors Ltd in Salford, Gtr Manchester, has you covered for all your commercial and domestic roller doors and services. Order now and enjoy the benefits of a well-insulated garage, including reduced energy costs and improved comfort. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and start installing your new rolling insulated garage door in Manchester!